Monday, February 16, 2009

Today's Air America show

Thanks again to the folks at Air America Radio for asking me to fill in for Ron Kuby today. I always have fun doing his show.

Today, since I was still in musical heaven from my weekend at Sunset Sessions, I played a lot of the music I got to hear, and talked a bit of music as well.

Singer/Songwriter Jill Sobule was my first guest (hear our interview by clicking here). We talked about her song "I Kissed a Girl"- not the Katy Perry song. But we mostly spoke about her forthcoming album California Songs Vol. 1, which will be out in April-- and the business model she came up with to fund it. You can read all about it in this article from last Monday's New York Times.

That interviewed segued nicely into a discussion with Congresswoman Marsha Blackburn, one of the co-sponsors of the Performance Rights Act, which would require US radio stations to pay performance royalties to artists, musicians and master recording owners. You can read the text of the bill here.

And in the wake of the admission by the NY Yankees' Alex Rodriguez that he took performance enhancing drugs, I invited sports agent David Sloane on the show. David represents Carlos Delgado of the NY Mets, who finished second in MVP voting in 2003, one of the years in which A-Rod admitted to using steroids, and I watched him field questions about this situation for the past two weeks. He just happens to be my boyfriend, so I figured he'd make for an interesting guest as well... Hear our interview here.

I'll be back with a new Radio or Not Podcast tomorrow...

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh boy steroids in baseball, today’s version of “You Light Up My Life” of sports. Will someone please bury the rented mule? Just like the Coke issue in the 70's MLB turned a blind eye untill the it was exposed in the early 80's. How could the managers and owners not know this was going on? Oh there is NO test to detect "Human Growth Hormon". So my guess is it's going on in MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, World Soccer and the Olyimpics. So can we move on? Please....and Nicole if you want to talk sports turn over the mike to your boyfriend and let him field calls. Stick to what you know best music and politics, you didn't even watch the Super Bowl. And no the half time does not count.