Monday, May 11, 2009

Wanda Sykes is my new hero!


I was excited to read that President Obama's choice to head up the Office of Drug Control Policy is considered pragmatic.  Kevin Zeese, president of Common Sense for Drug Policy, wrote a piece for OpEdNews, Obama's Drug Czar Nominee Approved a Potential Break from the Past, that gave me reason to think that things could be getting better and moving toward an end of the so-called War on Drugs.

So today I thought I'd take the temperature of a couple of groups who've been advocating for an end to prohibition.  I spoke with Micah Daigle, associate director of Students for Sensible Drug Policy, and Jack Cole, executive director of LEAP (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition).

In the first hour of today's show, we examined the power of sex... from two different vantage points.  Eleven women's groups in Nairobi, Kenya decided to go on a sex strike for a week, hoping that by denying their partners sex, they could stop the infighting between the president and the prime minister.  I spoke with Patricia Nyaundi, executive director of the Federation of Women Lawyers, one of those groups.

And we learned about a facebook group, Busts 4 Justice, who got a popular British retailer -- Marks & Spencer- to rescind their "tit-tax"... they had been charging a 2 pound surcharge for bras that are DD or larger.  After 14,000 women joined the group, M&S executives gave in and eliminated the penalty.

Finally, Saturday night was the annual White House Correspondents Dinner, and the comedy didn't disappoint. 

When I heard that Wanda Sykes was playing the Stephen Colbert role this year, I was disappointed, as I've never been a fan.  But that has changed!  

Both Sykes and President Obama kicked some comedy ass.  So,  I spent the third hour of today's show playing back some of the highlights.


Even though Wanda Sykes was great, my favorite is still Stephen Colbert.  Take a journey back through time to 2006, and check out W's face as Colbert keeps going....










1 comments:

TheNastyLiberal said...

Great blast from the past, one case of speaking truth to power like never seen before. Lord, was the President ever uncomfortable...